Coastal · Daily Life

Maine- Day 3

Today, I’m talking about Day 3 of our trip to Bar Harbor, Maine. It was the most strenuous day, by far. If you missed my previous recaps, click the links to read about Day 1 and Day 2.

Our day started out, like usual, with a gourmet breakfast!

We were greeted this time with coffee at Travis’ spot and a teapot at mine! Evin is good, real good!

Breakfast was panini toast with Bumbleberry jam, baked egg with ham and Havarti, and baked pear stuffed with homemade granola.


We knew we needed lots of energy for our mountain climbing so we snarfed down our food, stuffed again!

We went right out to hike, all bundled up. It was chilly and only in the mid-fifties!

Our main goal was to hike Cadillac Mountain, the highest point on Mount Desert Island. To do so, we decided to first climb Dorr Mountain and then go over to Cadillac. It seemed like the most direct route from our B&B.


As the Dorr Mountain Trail kept getting steeper and steeper, I had to stop and take a few breathers. My sore legs from yesterday’s walking were catching up to me.


Dorr Mountain had great open views along the way. In the picture below, downtown Bar Harbor is at the top center point. (It was a long hike!)


Eventually, we got to a point where we would have a steep incline and then just as we thought we couldn’t go further, it would flatten out with each switchback. I needed those breaks!


The trails at Acadia National Park are so well maintained and marked, if you’re observant. Sometimes it was confusing to tell if we were on the right path or not, but we just had to keep watch for little blue marks along the way and cairns (man-made stacks of rocks) to make sure we stayed on track.


We passed many little brooks and small caves. I wanted a picture in one of the caves, but the lighting wasn’t cooperating so Travis stepped in it so I could test my camera.

Let’s just say, I caught him off guard and now I laugh every time I look at this picture. He looks enthused and, dare I say, styling with the windbreaker he borrowed from Evin. 😉


Hey, we got the lighting figured out though. 😉


We even passed over Tarn Lake that we had found the day before.


We finally made it to the summit of Dorr Mountain, stopped for a quick photo op, and trudged on.


The trail from Dorr Mountain to the summit of Cadillac Mountain was labeled advanced and now I see why.

It started with a steep decline of just huge boulders, some loose. If you slipped during this part, it wouldn’t end well, as it was basically straight down.

We clearly needed hiking shoes as both of our tennis shoes were slipping at points.

I definitely had a hold on Travis’ hand, helping me to make each step, for awhile. It was slow moving.


It was getting colder and windier (which I didn’t think was possible by this point). As we emerged from the abyss of the trail, we saw people who had driven to the summit of Cadillac, and I couldn’t tell if they looked at us like they were impressed we had hiked it or like we were the biggest idiots ever for hiking it.

The fog was rolling in fast, so we snapped another summit picture and left.


Cadillac Mountain is supposed to be one of the first places in the United States to see the sun rise each morning. While we weren’t going to get up that early to see it, we were at least hoping to see a little sun up there. It was completely overcast by this point though.


I wanted a picture with my “muscles” flexed at the top of this mountain, but due to exhaustion and being freezing, my muscles looked rather sad and weak!


Another goal that we had was to visit Jordan Pond and see the Bubbles Mountains, which our B&B room was named after.

It was somewhat close to Cadillac Mountain so we figured we would just hike over to it as well.

If you look at the map below, Jordan Pond isn’t even on the picture. Cadillac Mountain is at the very top and Jordan Pond is down off the map, to the left, about four miles away.


That walk to Jordan Pond was far from enjoyable.

We had our hoods up to block out the strong winds and we silently trudged on for what felt like forever. We didn’t see people for awhile and I began to question if we were just wandering aimlessly. (Travis was kind and took my backpack for me!)


As we got about halfway there, we saw many more people coming from Jordan Pond and even heard one couple talking about what a beautiful hike it was.

We warned them that the rest of their hike to Cadillac was a little more bleak.

The rest of the hike was very rocky but at least we were sheltered in the trees!


Seeing Jordan Pond was the best sight, if only because our hike felt interminable.


We headed up to Jordan Pond House for a late lunch, ravenous at this point. The restaurant is famous for their popovers, hot from the oven with butter and jam.

I ordered a cup of seafood chowder and a popover, and I basically licked my dishes clean.

The popover was fluffy and soft, a definite “must try” if you are in that area.



After lunch, we walked back down to Jordan Pond to get some pictures of the infamous Bubbles Mountains. (A bra store in downtown Bar Harbor even has the Bubbles Mountains on their sign with a bra over it called “Bra Harbor” 🙂 ).


At this point, we decided that we didn’t have it in us to walk all the way back to town, going back through some of those tough trails (at least another six miles). However, when we tried to call a cab, we got a rude awakening that we didn’t have cell service.

We moved around to several areas trying to get service, but we were still getting zilch.

We decided to walk back along the road because it would be smoother and an easier walk. Our legs were spent, but we had to get back somehow and we weren’t going to hitchhike, though I’d be lying if I said it didn’t cross my mind after we started walking.

To make matters worse, roads in Bar Harbor are all so narrow. Jordan Pond House is a busy area, which meant there were quite a few cars passing on both sides of the road, making us walk in the shoulder.

Since it had rained the day before, the shoulder was slick and muddy. Add that to the fact that the shoulder was rocky and uneven, and it was not desirable. We felt like we were getting judged by passing cars too, but Travis told me, “Everyone’s done this at some point in their lives.” More wise words from “The Mountain Goat,” as he called himself this trip. 😉

After I stepped in a mud puddle in the shoulder, I asked Travis how much longer we would have to be walking like this. When he replied that it would be about two hours, I called it.

We finally reached the parking lot of another trail, saw that my phone had service, and called an Uber. I told Travis that it was the best money I’ve ever spent, very worth it!

We sat (Hallelujah!) and waited about twenty minutes for our ride to arrive.


We had an interesting driver who was a man in his sixties. He told us all about the woes of working for Uber (very professional!) and Travis had to help him with directions several times. He even showed us a package of dried stripe fish that he had in his console, taking it home as a treat for his wife- ha! The things you hear in Ubers!

We got home, ready for our afternoon coffee/tea time and just wanting to lie down. Then…the highlight of the day happened. We saw Evin and she said she would go get her Italian Greyhound, Layla, for me to see!

The day was looking up!

I was shocked when I saw Layla because she was huge. My past Italian Greyhound, Maggie, was eight pounds full grown. Layla was twenty-five pounds, and it was tough to hold her. She was a porker! She was so calm too, unlike my hyper, squirrely little Maggie was!


We played for a little bit, and it was fun to talk to Evin about Italian Greyhounds. Finally I found someone else who loves them as much as me!


After that, we regrouped and headed out to do a little shopping before going to dinner at The Thirsty Whale, a local pub. (My favorite souvenir: a hand-painted buoy made in Maine that perfectly matches colors in our guest bathroom!)

Thank goodness we packed enough warm clothes. The evenings especially were crisp! (I packed the sweatshirt below only expecting to wear it on the lobster boat, but I wore it nearly everyday for hiking and sometimes to dinner too, a lifesaver!)


Layers, layers, layers!



I got a lobster roll, and it was delicious! Travis had a Freuben, which was a Reuben with a Haddock fillet inside.


We decided after dinner that we weren’t ready to head home yet, and that we deserved many liquid calories after our hiking adventures.

I really wanted to try Atlantic Brewery’s Blueberry Ale, made locally in Bar Harbor. It is a staple to try, but the couple bars we went to were all out of it. We were determined (Ok, more like Travis was) that I was going to try it, and we finally found it at a bar called Beerworks.

I’m usually not a beer drinker, but after burning so many calories on the trails, I felt like I could have drank anything!

I couldn’t taste the blueberry flavor too much, but it was tasty: light and refreshing!


Travis, being the finance-minded guy that he is, wanted to go into the local grocery store and compare prices to our stores back home. (I gave him some grief for this, don’t worry!) We were shocked that their beef was very cheap while their chicken was almost double what we pay for it! The more you know…

We finished the day with over 35,000 steps, way more than I have ever gotten before and were surprised to beat our steps from the day before even!

That concludes Day 3!

Come back tomorrow for the last recap of our trip, Days 4 & 5.

Question of the Day: Do you have a Fitbit or other fitness tracker?

Ever since I’ve had a Fitbit, I feel like steps or workouts don’t count unless I have it on. I’ve even taken walks with Travis while it is charging and complained that it’s pointless without my Fitbit when it doesn’t count. 😉







3 thoughts on “Maine- Day 3

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s